Back in 1859, not long after the "Pikes Peak or bust" gold rush began, a group of men explored the nearby area to determine a place for a townsite at the base of Pikes Peak. They names their new town Colorado City, as "Colorado" is Spanish for "red," like the surrounding land. As they looked over this area of cathedral-like rock spires, one man, Malancthon Beach, commented that the spot would be a great place for a beer garden someday. His friend, a poetic young man names Rutous Cable, replied that it was a place "fit for the Gods."
The name Garden of the Gods has expressed the awe and admiration felt by Cable and by visitors ever since.
Local deer taking a stroll
Denise & Mum
Mum & Mick
Pikes Peak in the distance